A lifelong resident of the Youngstown area, Mr. Filicky has been associated with Thompson Funeral Home since 1984. He graduated from Youngstown State University (YSU) and the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science (PIMS), class 100 in 1990. He served his apprenticeship under the direction of Mr. Clifford L. Thompson, Jr. and became a licensed Ohio Funeral Director and Embalmer in 1991.
Mr. Filicky is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Youngstown, the Knights of Columbus, the Youngstown Lions Club and serves as an adult leader with the Greater Western Reserve Council of Boy Scouts of America, volunteering with the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts in the Whispering Pines District. Mr. Filicky resides in Boardman with his wife, Lori, and three sons, Travis, Alex and Mark.
Mr. Thompson, Jr. followed in his father’s footsteps and worked at Thompson Funeral Home for thirty-nine years. He received a degree in business from Youngstown State University (YSU) and graduated from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science (PIMS) in 1958. In 1959, Thompson joined his father’s business as a funeral director and embalmer and controlled operations after his father’s death in 1978. He operated Thompson Funeral Home from 1959 until his death in 1997. Outside of his business, Mr. Thompson was an active member of Boardman Rotary, Boardman Civic Association, and Clan MacDonald. In addition, Mr. Thompson served in the United States Army.
Clifford L. Thompson, Sr.
Founder/Former Funeral Director
As a founder of Thompson Funeral Home, Mr. Thompson set the standard for service and tradition that continues to exist today. He was a graduate of South High School in Youngstown and the Columbus School of Embalming in Columbus, Ohio. Mr.Thompson went on to serve his apprenticeship in Youngstown, Ohio before establishing the original Thompson Funeral Home in 1932 on Market Street. His first funeral home was located in his father’s home until he opened a new location in 1935, and then again in 1940. The current location, 4221 Market Street, was built and opened in 1955. He served the funeral home as a funeral director, embalmer, owner, and manager from the inception until his death in 1978. In addition to the business, Mr.Thompson was an active Mason.